Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I'm playing the allergy waiting game.

So, I thought this would be a good time to do a blog post. I am waiting to see if my sons allergic reaction progresses. A little bit ago my son came to me saying yucky. There was something on his tongue. I see what it is and cannot tell. I ask him to show me and all he shows me is a pencil. So, I was not sure if maybe he had it in his mouth and that was what it was. But, I just went to make them lunch and noticed he had some red hives around his mouth. Not severe but more like red dots. At this point I am unsure what is causing it. It could be something he came in contact with or it could even be nothing more than minor irritation from something else.

As I make him a soynut butter and jelly sandwich I observe him and see that he is randomly scratching at parts of his body. His hand now has a small hive on it. Still, unsure if maybe he was scratched or licked by the dog or he possibly came in contact with a food allergen. At this point, it becomes a waiting game. I need to observe him and see if more spots arise and see if he starts scratching more. There is really no way to know if he is having a severe reaction unless more happens. And what to is a complete mystery to me. I am going to go check on him and let you know what I see.........


As you can see the ones around his mouth are going away. You can see a spot(That looks less pink on camera) under his nose and there are a couple that are hard to see on camera on his chin.

Though the mouth hives are slowly going away there is one that developed under his chin, bigger than the others. You can also see in both pictures a place where he is scratching near his neck on his shoulder.

The hive on his hand is completely gone and he claims he is not very itchy. So, it is STILL a waiting game.

As I should, I checked him again after taking pictures and writing and the one under his chin has gone down a tiny bit. So, I think that since it has been a half hour to 45 minutes since the possible contact, we should be in the clear for an anaphylactic reaction. Anaphylaxis can occur within 2 hours after exposure. But, typically if there is going to be problems with breathing, that happens within 30 to 45 minutes after exposure.

I will blog again tonight and let you know if it was nothing and just needed to be watched or if I end up giving him meds or more.


No comments:

Post a Comment